Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Ghosts

Last night I was walking home past the Opoho graveyard and I was wondering what it would be like to see a ghost. I would probably be telling everyone I knew for the next few months, never go past the graveyard again and have a few weeks of upset sleep. I dunno. Annoyingly some jogger burst out of the gardens beside the graveyard and scared the crap out of me. I must have looked like a complete dork when I coughed and spluttered and consequently had to pretend I was just spitting. Ushj! Anyway it got me thinking about what happened a couple of weeks ago at Bryan's bithday party. We had it at Hayward Hall in his kudos little complex on the second floor. Well, we were all sitting round having a good yarn and somebody randomly brought up ghosts. This prompted Helen, usually known for being a very level-headed person, to tell us about the image of a baby's face that she saw in the ceiling one night. Everyone sorta got a little unsettled and were further discomforted by Bryan telling us about the girl he saw out of the corner of his eye running off down the stairwell but who he couldn't find when he went to check out the stairs. Then they went on to tell us that other people in the hall had seen babies's faces in the ceiling and that one student had even seen someone standing in her room over the bed one night and when she went to push them away her hand went right through it. Well, by this stage, the group of people sitting in the room with Bryan and Helen, who were mostly Highw@y aged girls began to freak out while Jon and I were egging on the stories to scare them. But now we were pretty convinced that there were ghosts in this old maternity ward, too. Previously I hadn't known anyone personally who could give a convincing ghost story but now it was pretty obvious something was afoot. Ushj! After this I went home and didn't have the greatest sleep. I left Carl out in the lounge and he climbed on the piano of all things and climbed across it playing a whole bunch of eery notes as he did. Dork. So anyway, last night when I got home from uni Suzie Q texted me and said she wanted to stay overnight in a graveyard with Mix, Carla and anyone who wanted to come. Hmm, well, I guess we'll see if I really want to this weekend but I can't see it happening. Um, but only cos it's too cold. Here's a renowned ghost picture by the way to creep you out. Apparently this was taken in 1995 when a house was going up in flames. They found out later that the fire had been started by a 14 year old girl who had been careless with matches.


Here's an interesting theory from the guy whose site I stole this photo from: Do I believe in ghosts? Well, given the evidence we collected firsthand that night, I now admit to believing that there's something we can’t explain in terms of the normal world that’s at work here. My own personal theory? If there are such things as ghosts, I don't believe they're "spiritual" in nature at all. My thinking is that they are some kind of "recording" left in a place that sometimes replays itself: a recording in time and space. It might have something to do with quantum physics. Or this might all be a little too wacky anyway. But you tell me: would you say you don't believe in spooks if your tape recorder picked up a weird voice saying "Let me out..."?

By the way this week's GWBD is none other than the beautiful Heather Locklear

2 comments:

Jon said...

So why does the theory have to be in wingdings?

And don't even get me started on the babies' faces post-possessive apostrophe!

Scotty said...

Graham would be so doah! I am doah!