Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Carly kitten




At the end of last year I was hanging out with a family friend named Bev who is very much into pets and animals and she and her friend convinced me to buy a kitten from the SPCA. Well we got there and there was a whole bunch of sweet and naughty kittens in the cages but one caught my attention. He was almost completely black with some white spots here and there. Initially his name was Albino. Yes I know. Very a he he. Anyway, he wouldn't stop staring at me so I took him home out of sympathy. No actually he was very sweet so I thought I'd snatch him up in case he was gone the next time I came in. Ninety bucks later he was mine. However I had to work that night, a double shift the next day and then church and stuff on Sunday so it was a while before we got to hang out. Instead I dumped him with a very reluctant Si and went along to the petrol station. After some initial realisation of him being a complete dork I decided he needed a distinctive name. Vanessa decided the best one for him would have to be Carl. I completely objected to this cos it sounded kinda silly for a cat and inappropriate but I decided to let Carl decide for himself (at the time, of course, his name was not Carl) He insisted that his name had to be Carl so I told him that if I asked the cat if his name was Carl and he said 'yes' then that would be that. Of course a cat would never say yes but as soon as I walked in the door and asked "is your name Carl?" he immediately responded with a positive sounding meow. So that was that. He was Carl. After this Carl's main problem was overcoming his fear of being an absolute dork/wuss. I tried to counter this by putting him on high up cupboards and let him figure out his own way down. He responded to this well and overcame his fear, being able to jump reasonable distances without worrying. This height-overcoming-fear-challenge enabled Carl to prove his new found skills in climbing straight up the 3 metre pole, over the overhang and onto the deck. Very impressive. For being able to do that I am very proud of myself... I mean him.

1 comment:

Scotty said...

Carl what a gay/cute name. How are you Hominic?